Bake Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins | Fresh tastes
I’ll be honest with you: these muffins are borderline cupcakes.
When I first started cooking, I couldn’t quite figure out what the difference was. I knew one was technically a cake and the other was something I would eat for breakfast. So, I did some research. I discovered quite quickly that for beginners, their crumb is totally different. A cake has a younger crumb and, well, tastes like cake and is topped with lots of frosting (as it should be). While a muffin is a quick bread with a much denser and bigger crumb. I think that’s when I really got into all things baking. I felt like I understood pastry for the first time.
Anyway, so it’s definitely a muffin in texture and crumb. But in flavor… it’s almost close to a cupcake. So, I say make this one on weekends where breakfast is supposed to be more fun and less “healthy”.
I love the rhubarb pie with the sweet white chocolate chips. And the muffin almost tastes like it has cornbread in it, but it doesn’t.
If you’re craving a healthier option, add flax or bran to this muffin! It would be delicious.
Rhubarb and white chocolate muffins, so good they could almost be cupcakes. (Recipe credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- Roasted rhubarb:
- 1 cup diced rhubarb (from 1 stalk of rhubarb)
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup mini or regular white chocolate chips
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Honey butter:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- Pinch of salt
- To make the roasted rhubarb:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Add muffin cups to a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add the rhubarb and mix with the sugar. Transfer to the oven to roast for about 8-9 minutes, until the rhubarb has released some juice.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined. Add the roasted and cooled rhubarb, in a few batches, making sure the pieces are broken up before adding the next batch. Then add the white chocolate chips.
- In another bowl, measure the milk and stir in the melted butter, egg and vanilla extract. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix until you no longer see any flour grains.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 full. Transfer to the oven to bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the honey butter:
- In a small bowl, add butter, honey and salt. Using a fork, mix everything together until smooth.
- Serve the muffins with a side of butter.
Yield: Makes 12 muffins
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares daily comforting recipes from her kitchen. She recently wrote her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She loves breakfast, pie (and sometimes even breakfast pie), corgis, and cute things. You can find it on Twitter, instagramWhere Facebook.