Dairy-Free Chocolate Chai Muffins Recipe with Chocolate Chips
This recipe was originally submitted by Shannon Haggerty as a sweet entry to the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest we held several years ago, to celebrate the FREE Snackable eBook we collaborated on with So Delicious. For National Winery Day (September 21), we decided to give these dairy-free chocolate chai muffins a try again, and the results were scrumptious. Our only change was more chocolate chips of course!
Chocolate Chai Muffins with Hot Spices and Chocolate Chips
Sarah originally tested and approved this chocolate chai muffin recipe as one she would repeat, which is why it’s in our “Sarah’s Recipes” section. According to Sarah, this is a “solid muffin recipe”. The muffins are tender with a nice balance of chocolate and warm spices.
Shannon originally used So Delicious Almond Milk Yogurt in this recipe, but this product is no longer made. Sarah was lucky with their coconut milk yogurt, which is sold in larger jars. If you are using individual portions, you will need a little more than one container.
Special Dietary Notes: Chai Chocolate Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, peanut-free, nut-free optional, soy-free optional, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose butter and yogurt alternatives that meet your dietary needs.
For vegan chocolate chai muffins, use your favorite egg substitute for the egg. Chocolate muffins made with wheat are generally quite tolerant without an egg, but due to the moistness of yogurt, I recommend trying a powdered egg substitute rather than a very moist one, like applesauce.
Dairy Free Chocolate Chai Muffins
Author: Shannon Haggerty
Type of recipe: To eat lunch
- 1 cup dairy-free plain yogurt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free butter spread or sticks, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips (Go Dairy Free recommends increasing this to ½ cup!)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Place the yogurt, sugar, butter spread, egg, and spices from the tea bags into a mixing bowl and mix until relatively smooth.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until about ¾ full.
- Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes or until they are foamy and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
More dairy-free muffin recipes
Sweet peach and ginger muffins
Zucchini and carrot bran muffins
Strawberry Vanilla Bakery Muffins
Comments are closed.