How to Make Perfect Chocolate Cookies
In these decadent cookies, pecans and chocolate are perfect partners. I use both cocoa powder and 72 percent dark chocolate to enhance the flavor. Every time I make cookie dough, I cut a large block of chocolate into large chunks or use large buttons. I think it’s always nice to have a generous amount of chocolate in a cookie if it’s advertised as such!
The texture of these cookies is more of a cross between a fondant brownie and a cookie, sitting on the softer side. This means they store very well and stay soft for a few days if stored in an airtight container.
If you rush the process and bake them right away, rather than letting the dough sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, your cookie outcome will be dramatically different. Letting it sit means the cookie stays in shape during baking rather than melting into a flat mess.
Dark chocolate and pecan cookies
Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus cooling time | Cooking time: 25 minutes
About 24 cookies
- 150g unsalted butter
- 140 g dark brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 120g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 25g cocoa powder
- 40g coarsely chopped pecans
- 70 g dark chocolate (at least 70%), cut into large pieces or chocolate buttons
- 24 pecan halves (30-40g)
- Sea salt flakes
- Start by making brown butter by melting the butter in a saucepan over very low heat and slowly – for about 10-15 minutes – until it smells nutty and turns golden. Remove from the heat, pour into a heat-resistant container and leave in the refrigerator until firm.
- Using a large bowl and wooden spoon or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the chilled brown butter until smooth, then stir in the sugar until smooth. ‘it is completely combined – but try not to beat too much at this point as this causes too much to rise and drop during cooking.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Combine the baking powder, flour, salt and cocoa powder in a large bowl, then add it to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing well. Stir in chopped pecans and chocolate.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a container, cover and place in the refrigerator for four hours or until firm.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 180C / 160C hot air / gas 4.
- Take and roll the mixture into 25g balls and place them on one or more lined baking sheets, leaving enough space between the cookies as they will spread out a bit. Place a pecan half on each ball and press down gently.
- Bake for eight to nine minutes – the middle should be slightly shiny and gooey, and the edges firm.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle a little sea salt on each cookie before allowing to cool.