Recipe for vegan mini chocolate cakes
Years ago, Teresa Makin submitted a recipe for one of our recipe contests, which she called “Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream Sundaes”. These are really mini vegan chocolate cakes baked in a pie pan to make a perfect “mug” for your ice cream. But the recipe will work in any single-serving style cake pan. We’ve included some additional notes on cake pans below.
Mini vegan chocolate cakes are perfect for sundaes
As mentioned, Teresa uses a pie pan, which looks like a muffin tin, but each well has a bump in the bottom to make a “bowl” for your dairy-free ice cream on top. There are fancy shortbread molds and even silicone shortbread molds. We have also seen them called brownie moldsand mini bundt pans would work well too.
If you don’t have any of these pan options, you can bake these mini vegan chocolate cupcakes in large muffin tins. Technically, you can even bake this recipe as a full cake. Just be sure to adjust the baking time if you change the size of the pans. If you are using smaller pans, like muffin tins, watch closely as they will cook faster. You’ll know you’re using a smaller pan if the batter fills more than 12 wells!
Special Dietary Notes: Mini Vegan Chocolate Cakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free/dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the milk drink and yogurt alternative that suits your dietary needs.
Mini vegan chocolate cakes
Author: Therese Makin
Type of recipe: Dessert
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¾ cup natural cocoa powder (not processed in the Netherlands)
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dairy-free plain milk beverage
- ½ cup canola oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- ¼ cup dairy-free plain yogurt
- Dairy-free ice cream, for serving
- Grease a mini shortbread pan or a mini 12-cell cake pan (see post above).
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add boiling water, milk drink, oil and yogurt, and mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake the cakes for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before removing them from the pan.
- Top with frozen dessert and other toppings of your choice.
Portion: 1 cake calories: 301 Big: 10.4g Saturated fat: 1.3g Carbohydrates: 53.2g Sugar: 33.9g Sodium: 279mg Fiber: 2.5g Protein: 3.3g
More vegan mini desserts
New York-Style Vegan Mini Cheesecakes
Frozen Key Lime Pie Tartlets
Easy Mini Apple Pies with Dairy Free Vanilla Whip